How To Make A Simple Vegan Buckwheat Flour Pancakes Recipes – Buckwheat or buckwheat pancakes have become, over the past half-century, a specialty in all countries around the globe. Mostly served drenching in marble syrup, juicy and moist, as well as savory delicious ones served aside of vegan sour cream.
How To Make Vegan Buckwheat Flour Pancakes Simple Recipes
We can distinguish this buckwheat pancake from the regular nonvegan ones, most often made from wheat, milk, and eggs, with a light color, delicate with a little crunch to them.
However, vegan buckwheat pancakes are prepared using almost the same technique, the same tools:
- Both require for their cooking a pancake pan, heated and greased between each scoop.
- A wooden batter rake to spread the dough evenly around the pan
- A spatula to use when turning the pancakes
Pancakes, whether rolled or folded (square, rectangle, triangle), may be filled with various ingredients that make it a perfect meal on its own.
A Little History About Buckwheat Pancakes
Buckwheat pancakes used to be the staple food of the week. They were cooked in a pan in the fireplace, on one side. They were cut into thin strips to decorate the soups, or simply buttered or with served with Buttermilk.
French people used to eat them more particularly on Fridays. In the street, pancake vendors were part of the French folklore.
In a traditional French crêperie, a “pancake meal” will start with one or two savory buckwheat garnished pancakes and will finish with a sweet one. Everything, tradition obliges, moistened with cider!
Buckwheat Flour Origins
The cultivation of buckwheat was a blessing for Armorica (its development dates from the XVI the century, although there are traces of buckwheat pollen in the peat bogs of the region dated from the XII century).
From the end of the XIX the century, there was a first Breton emigration to Paris (fleeing the overpopulation and the insufficiency of exploitable agricultural land). A second emigration, even more, massive than the previous one, will occur in the first half of the XIX th century, and even after the last world war.
The crêperies began to flourish there, in particular in the Montparnasse district and by a ricochet in other French cities and in the rest of the world.
For the past two decades, buckwheat pancakes have swamped the shelves of healthy product stores, fresh as well as frozen.
Vegan Pancakes With Buckwheat Flour Simple Recipes
(for 6 patties of 30 cm in diameter)
- 175 g buckwheat flour
- 37 cl of water
- 5 g coarse salt
- Vegetable tasteless oil
- Place the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Gradually pour in the water, mixing with a wooden spoon until you get a thick, runny dough.
- Add 2 or 3 cl of water if it seems too thick.
- Stir for a couple more minutes to air it out.
- Let it rest for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat the pancake pan by greasing it with oil first.
- Spread a thin layer of dough on it
- Turn halfway through cooking to brown the two sides of the pancakes
Your buckwheat pancakes are ready to be served with your choice of either sweet or savory side sauces.