Homemade Vegan Worcestershire Sauce Recipe – Worcestershire sauce is a condiment of English origin, with a sweet and sour flavor and slightly spicy. It is mainly prepared from molasses, vinegar, anchovies, shallots, tamarind pulp, garlic, and additional various spices. It was originally produced in Worcester, Worcestershire, England, hence its name.
Homemade Worcestershire Sauce Recipe With Vegan Alternative Ingredients
It is almost impossible to find on sale Worcestershire sauce that can be suitable for vegan cuisine since the original sauce contains anchovies. This recipe for making Worcestershire sauce was shared by American chef and author Martha Stewart in one of her television shows.
She is not vegan, even not a vegetarian, but we can be grateful to her for leaving more and more space for vegan recipes in her shows.
I doubled the quantities to get the contents of a full 300ml jar. The sauce keeps for a very long time and as I use it a lot in marinades or in Seitan dishes, I prefer to make a large amount.
Worcestershire Sauce Ingredients VEGAN
- 400 ml apple cider vinegar
- 100ml soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 garlic clove chopped in very small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Worcestershire Sauce Substitute VEGAN
The original recipe says to simmer the sauce until it has halved and then strain it. I preferred to put all the ingredients in a food processor for a smoother sauce. Everyone can choose the method that suits them.
So I did this =>
- Mix several times. Put in a saucepan, bring to heat and simmer until the sauce has reduced by half.
- Pour into a jar or an old bottle of apple cider vinegar. Keep cool but not necessarily in the fridge. Apple cider vinegar will serve as a preservative.
ANOTHER Easy Vegan Worcester Sauce Recipe
Preparation time: 5 minutes
- 60ml apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of pepper
- Put all the ingredients in a saucepan. Mix.
- Boil the water. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove and pour into the container of your choice (jar, Tupperware, etc.).
- The sauce keeps well in the refrigerator. You must shake it well before using it.
Note: Worcestershire sauce is used in particular in the Japanese recipe for okonomiyaki.
This sauce can also be bought ready-made commercially, but it contains fish.
If you re-create this recipe at home, don’t forget to tell me what you thought of it!